Smartwatches: Reviews and Comparison of the Best Models in 2023
Less cumbersome than a Smartphone and lighter, a smartwatch is a device that will suit all age groups. Adults, adolescents, and children, everyone will find something for them. Note that not all watches are compatible with all smartphones, despite the phone’s performance and the presence of Bluetooth.
In addition to this, each model has its characteristics, particularly in terms of design, functionality, and power. Here are some examples of products that might interest you in Canada to guide you in your purchase. Given its finish, Apple Watch Series 5 GPS will be all the rage with the fairer sex. For its part, Fossil Gen 5 Julianna Connected watch is very versatile.
Buying Guide – How To Choose a Good Smartwatch?
Those who have no idea what a price comparison is, know that it is a site that brings together the best offers on the market. That said, the price of the watch doesn’t make it a good or a bad product. Here are some criteria to consider.
1. The housing design
The size of the case varies depending on each model and screen format. As for its shape, we find squares, rectangles, and others round with a more or less elongated or curved line. Concretely, the watch’s design does not influence its performance, but it’s just a matter of taste and color.
As for a classic watch, the case will be attached to leather, stainless steel, or plastic strap. Again, it will all depend on your preferences. Note, however, that the leather bracelets are much more comfortable than the other variants. If shortly you want to change your bracelet, make sure that it is detachable.
As for the screen, you have two choices. Indeed, the latest models equips with an LCD or AMOLED screen. Whether one or the other, these technologies will allow you to view photos and videos with the right brightness, the right colors, and the best contrast. In addition, the lifespan and the autonomy of your battery will be revised upwards.
It is also time for touch screens. From a practical point of view, using a touchscreen is not always easy. Some watches running Wear OS can be controlled using the wrist’s movement. For its part, those with physical buttons appeal to athletes and fans of classic watches. Indeed, the grip is much better.
Unlike a classic watch, a smartwatch can change its dial, which, according to its user’s wishes. To enjoy this functionality, go to the manufacturer’s website. Like any sports device, the case of smartwatches is protected against water and dirt. The protection index changes depending on the model.
Even though one can answer calls and send text messages, smartwatches were not designed to replace smartphones. That said, these two devices have many points in common, citing only the applications, the integration of a GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connectivity. Therefore, ordering a product without going through a buying guide for the best smartwatches is not a good idea.
Since their marketing, the number of applications developed, especially for smartwatches, has risen in the thousands. It is the modules related to fitness, outdoor sports like cycling, brisk walking, running, and swimming that are in fashion. Associated with the pedometer and a heart rate sensor, these applications will give you the number of kilometers you have covered, your energy expenditure up to your blood pressure.
Apart from sports activities, the number of smartwatches that integrate an NFC chip is constantly increasing. This technology develops to make contactless payments. In other words, you will be able to pay your bills only with your watch. At Apple, this service is known as Apple pay. Samsung also has its payment system called Samsung Pay. For Wear OS smartwatches, this feature is referred to as Android Pay.
As a reminder, know that there are three operating systems: Android Wear or Wear OS, Tizen, and Ios. The first is multi-brand, while the other two are used on watches made by Samsung and Apple. The more recent the version of the system, the better the watch will perform. Before proceeding with the purchase, check that your Smartphone is compatible with the watch you have chosen.
The average lifespan of the batteries in smartwatches is one to two days. However, some models last longer than six days. To obtain such a result, manufacturers rely on an automatic standby device.
As for recharging, the way it will do it depends on the configuration of the watch. If the latter equips with a micro USB port, a wired charger is therefore necessary. On the other hand, if it is delivered with a charging base, it is enough to position it and wait. The duration of the recharge will depend mainly on the quality of the battery.
The 10 Best Smartwatches (Reviews & Tests) of 2022
Examples are better than a long speech. This list includes all the best, especially in the category of smartwatches. So that you can get an idea of the capabilities of each watch, you will find the strengths and weaknesses of each reference.
1. Apple Watch Series 5 GPS
With the number and variety of products on sale, even a techie will hard to know which smartwatch to choose. What is certain is that it will be very difficult not to fall for the models from Apple. Moreover, it is not for nothing that it holds the title of the best brand of smartwatches.
Providing information like time, day, ECG, distance traveled, and duration of the training, the fifth-generation Apple Watch is certainly the best performing of all smartwatches. The ECG application developed by Apple will allow you to follow the evolution of your cardiac activity in real-time.
If you practice Yoga, swimming, or cycling, this Apple smartwatch will be of great help to you. Being a source of motivation, you will listen to music thanks to the Apple music application. Also, note that the size of its screen is 30% larger than the previous version.
- An impeccable connection: This men’s smartwatch can connect to all WiFi networks as long as you enter the correct password.
- Versatile: In addition to providing EKG data, you can also answer a call or write a text.
- A successful design: The golden case and pink strap are unique to this watch.
- Low autonomy: The battery does not last more than 12 hours. This duration will reduce if the screen is set to the constant display option.
2. Fossil Gen 5 Julianna Smartwatches
When it comes to picking the best smartwatches of 2021, everyone is free to set their criteria. Others take a cheap model, which is not a bad idea. Working with Android and iOS smartphones, this watch runs on Wear OS. Remember that this is an operating system that Google developed.
Waterproof, this Fossil smartwatch is not afraid of water. In addition to that, it equips with a GPS. The distances you have traveled will therefore be calculated and displayed in real-time. With the help of the Google fit app, you will be able to track your heart rate. It equips with a speaker and microphone; this watch can receive phone calls.
The notifications will be accompanied by a sound alert like what we are used to hearing. This powerful model benefits from 1GB RAM and 8GB internal memory. Also, note that the charging cable is included in the purchase.
- A quality watch: The design of this model is similar to a luxury watch, not to mention the quality of the screen and the bracelet.
- A good microphone: Due to its call capability, this watch can replace your Smartphone. Also, note that the speaker and microphone are working as they should.
- Heavy: Many find the bracelet to be quite heavy.
- Automatic update: Without enabling automatic updates, you will be faced with sound bugs.
3. Samsung Galaxy Watch Active
Those who are wondering which is the best smartwatch on the market know that there are several ranges. This model incorporates an internal memory of 4 GB as well as a RAM of 750 MB. In addition to this, this Samsung smartwatch has a GPS. In this configuration, it is very difficult to find a cheaper watch than the Galaxy Watch Active.
Solidly designed, the case is entirely made of aluminum. Aside from that, the watch enjoys IP68 protection, which is perfectly resistant to dirt and moisture.
It equips with a 20 mm wide strap, the case is properly maintained, which is very practical when playing indoor sports. In terms of the display, you will be entitled to an AMOLED screen made of Gorilla glass and whose width is 40 mm. A 230mAh battery will power the latter. All this makes this model the best smartwatch.
- Easy to use: Samsung has made the interface easy to understand. Also, note that the applications do not present any bugs.
- Responsive: Considering the capacity of its RAM, the responsiveness of this watch is not surprising. It also equips with a high-resolution screen.
- No fast charging: To recharge the battery, you will have to wait for more than 5 hours long.
- The interface of the galaxy store: The galaxy store presents itself as a lambda e-Commerce site.
4. Fitbit Versa 2. FB507BKBK-FRCJK
Several tips that relate to how to buy a better value smartwatch exist on the internet. It is for this reason that the web is an excellent communication network.
Incorporating the virtual assistant from Amazon known as Alexa, this watch can give you all the information you need to see the weather or the news of the day. In addition, remote control of connected objects is also feasible.
As with most smartwatches of its generation, the screen will display heart rate or even how long you sleep. With this Fitbit smartwatch, you will also have control of streaming platforms such as Spotify and Deezer.
Since the device equips with a large screen and a display system, all information will be continuously accessible. As for the power supply, the maximum battery life is five days, which is rare for a smartwatch.
- Precise: The content of the screen is still readable, even when it goes to sleep.
- Easy to configure: Considering the width of the screen and the layout of the interface, navigating between the various features shouldn’t be a problem for you. On top of that, the Fitbit app is bug-free.
- Perfect autonomy: The battery can last more than five days without recharging.
- Slow: Its operating system is relatively quiet and quite essential.
5. Garmin 010-01769-00 Vivoactive smartwatches
The comparison content should direct you to the site where to buy the best smartwatch. Without it, there is no need to exist. Customizable, thousands of dials and applications are compatible with this watch. In addition to that, apps related to yoga, swimming, running, and indoor sports have been pre-downloaded.
Modern Garmin smartwatch can calculate your VO2 max and assess your physical condition. All of this information can be viewed on a 1.6 inch LCD screen. Features like smart notifications, automatic updates, and Live track are also available.
Comfortable, the bracelet makes of silicone. Besides, note that the weight of this watch rates at 40.8g. Since it equips with a touch screen, it is quite possible to access all the information without using the control button located on the watch’s right side.
- Modular: All the dials are just as pretty as the next. Cross country, running, and cycling enthusiasts will also be spoiled since each activity will have its application.
- A quality battery: The battery recharges very quickly and has autonomy that can go up to 7 days.
- Incompatible with Huawei Smartphones: This watch does not recognize by Huawei brand smartphones.
6. Fullmosa Smartwatch with heart rate monitor
This connected watch has several functions. It assists you throughout your training in 7 sports, including swimming. Indeed, it is a waterproof model that serves as a pedometer, timer and displays how many kilometers you have traveled.
You can save your data such as speed and duration for later use. This accessory is also a health monitor. It shows you your heart rate the whole time you wear it. Even your condition, when you sleep, is not hidden from him.
The bracelet is easy to change, depending on the style you want to adopt for the day. The watch connects to a smartphone through an application, thanks to Bluetooth 4.0, for monitoring your data.
It accepts Android 4.4 and iOS 8.2 devices. While you exercise, the watch may display notifications from your phone. You will know if there are urgent calls, you will directly read your SMS and emails.
- Design: The 1.3-inch touch screen has an editable format, depending on the style that suits you. The watch contains five dial models available, and the application includes 30.
- Features: This watch uses for a lot of tasks. It is a real assistant in all your exercises.
- Charged: When charged, the watch will run for up to 7 days in a row.
Negative points7. Huawei Universal Smartwatches
Opinions differ when it comes to buying your first smartwatch. Others think that it is necessary to invest such an amount before having a quality product, while some consider it is not required.
By putting on this watch, you will be able to follow your heart activity during your training. Data like recovery time and VO2 max will also display on its screen. For information, know that this Huawei smartwatch equips with a GPS.
Convenient, you can directly access your playlist without an internet connection. This watch combines pure sportiness and elegance with two 22mm wide straps and a classic stainless steel case.
Its carbon black finish will delight watchmaking enthusiasts. If necessary, know that the bracelets come off quite easily. This watch is one of the only ones to benefit from an NFC assistant. The latter will take care of any refunds.
- A classic design: At first glance, this watch looks like a luxury item. In addition, its user will have the choice between several styles of dials.
- Android Pay: Being the replacement of Google Wallet, this system will allow you to send money to your loved ones and make online purchases.
- Automatic standby: The fact that the watch automatically goes to sleep will conserve battery power and provide better battery life.
- Lack of responsiveness: The system becomes less responsive when the night mode is activated.
8. Umidigi Uwatch 2S Fitness Tracker
The Uwatch 2S model stands out with its elegant design. This smartwatch is sturdy and scratch-resistant. It equips with a 3.3 cm touchscreen, the dial of which can personalize with more than 100 styles. This accessory serves as a heart rate monitor with its seven sport modes.
It counts your steps, calories burned, and distance traveled. For women, it helps calculate the menstrual cycle. It also monitors your condition while you sleep. This watch is compatible with Android 4.4 and iOS 8.0. Connected to your phone, it notifies you of emails, texts, and calls you to receive.
Through the Da Fit app, you have your training data. It only takes 2.5 hours to charge the battery for use for 15 days. This equipment is waterproof and manufactures according to the 5 ATM standards. It is not afraid of water, as long as it is below 40 ° C.
- Robust: It is a solid and waterproof watch, supports water, and does not take traces. It resists time.
- Compatibility: It can be linked to your smartphone or iPhone to take advantage of all its features. Its dial is adjustable.
- Drums: The watch has a long-lasting battery, which works for two weeks on a single charge. In standby mode, it lasts 40 days.
- Notifications: The watch only displays notifications; it cannot read messages or receive calls.
- Application: It is essential to configure the watch. You have to know how to use it.
9. L8star Heart Rate Monitor
You can program this smartwatch to take your heart rate automatically. Just install the FlagFit 2.0 app on your Android 4.4 and above or iOS 8.0 and above device. The 3.3cm screen displays minor data characters so you can read it in any light.
This equipment has six sport modes. It can be used by bike, during the race, jumps, table tennis, tennis, or badminton games. Friends, It counts your calories, steps, and distance. It also monitors your sleep and wakes you up, provided you have programmed it.
The L8star watch equips you to track your phone if it gets lost. It operates the camera and reminds you of calls you have not yet answered and message threads on your network.
Friends, It has manufactures to the IP67 waterproof standard. It tolerates rain and splashing water during hand washing, but it does not make for diving.
- Tracing: This watch allows you to find your phone wherever it is and use your camera remotely.
- Autonomy: The battery lasts for 30 days, once charged. It allows you to use it securely.
- Programming: Automatic configuration is possible. It is up to you to set the time at which you need the measurements. Its data is more precise.
- Not waterproof: This watch cannot be submerged in water or used while showering. Make sure to remove it first.
- Use: It will be necessary to configure the application well and to master its use.
10. Vtech Smart Watch
Here is a smartwatch for children developed by VTECH. With its two cameras, your toddler can take photos and videos without too much difficulty. The manufacturer has installed more than 55 analog and digital dials to facilitate the reading of the time.
Modern, this watch equips with a movement sensor and a pedometer. This technology was developed to provide a real-life gaming experience. In addition, the games are entirely free.
On the design side, you will have the choice between two colors, either blue or purple.
To transfer the photos and videos captured by the watch, the latter has a micro USB socket. By doing so, you will not overload its internal memory of 256 Mb. On top of that, the cable is an integral part of the purchase.
- Entertaining: Given the features it has, your child will not be bored. In addition, it will delight both little girls and little boys.
- Customizable: The number of dials that are compatible with this watch may surprise more than one. To download them, go through the manufacturer’s site.
- Low autonomy: This watch deserves a more powerful battery.
frequently asked Questions
Q1: How does a smartwatch work?
A connected watch is part of the category of alternative terminals. To connect with our Smartphones, this device uses Bluetooth or wifi. Before joining, you need to download the Android Wear or Watch app for iPhone users. Once done, activate Bluetooth and then open the application. At this point, your watch will ask you to choose a language.
At the same time, a pop-up suggesting starting Android Wear will appear. Now is the time to synchronize. To do this, select the name of the Bluetooth of your Smartphone. An update of the watch will launch automatically. Once the connection establishes, all notifications from your Smartphone will appear on the watch screen. Answering emails, messages and calls also become possible.
Q2: What possibilities with a smartwatch? How to use it?
The first step in using a smartwatch is to download applications. Without this, the watch will be unusable. One that is among the most popular is Sleep as Android. The latter will inform you about the length of your sleep, its quality, and the time you go to bed. Feel the Wear is a tool that will allow you to adjust the intensity, duration, and frequency of the vibrations that accompany the notifications.
By downloading the Wear Camera app, you can turn your watch screen into a surveillance monitor. It is made possible by synchronization with the camera of your Smartphone. Wear Audio Recorder works much the same way except that the app will record conversations instead of having visual previews. This program is beneficial during press conferences, meetings, and meetings since it will capture everything with one click.
For note-taking, there is an app which is known as Google Keep. Its use will help you plan your day or even your errands. If you were suspicious of its grip, understand that the size of the screen will not be a problem. Consider downloading the Toggles Wear application if you want to organize your menu and directly access Bluetooth, airplane mode, and wifi without going through the main menu.
Q3: How to turn on a smartwatch?
To turn on a connected watch, all you have to do is press the start button on the back of the device. Usually, an indicator light should come on, followed by the screen. If not, check the battery life. You may unload it.
Q4: How to charge a smartwatch?
Before connecting, ensure that the charger is placed on a flat surface and out of direct sunlight. If the watch came with a wireless charger, place it so that the case aligns with the two pins. On the other hand, if you are in a micro USB charger, it is enough to connect it to the relevant socket.
Smartwatches: Reviews and Comparison of the Best Models in 2022